Saturday, November 10, 2007

Addiction to "Busyness" and the need for contemplation

I was reading this morning about our culture's addiction to busyness and how it is like an addiction to a drug. One Presbyterian minister described how, when people said to him, "You're very busy," he would reply, "No, actually--I'm not that busy." People would get mad at him because a) they think he's lying, or b) they think he's lazy.

This struck a chord with me because I am definitely someone who finds it hard when I am not busy. I'm gradually trying to just sit with myself and be more comfortable with contemplation, but it's tough!

Martin Luther King has also emphasised the importance of prayer and quiet thought. He reportedly said: "I pray for 2 hours each day, and on days when I really have a lot to get done I pray for 4 hours."

Let's see if I can manage to get that type of spiritual balance in my life!
Information taken from http://quakeroatslive.blogspot.com/2007/11/contemplative-life.html

No comments: